Sunday, February 8, 2009

This is work done for my Games: Modeling and Texture class. Our assignment is to make our apartment, starting with our desk/workspace.

Our current budget is 1200 tris divided on six props. And when we get to the texturing part the limit will be 5 maps of 128x128 pixels. Pretty oldschool, despite the polycount maybe being a little higher than what was common in the olden days, and the fact that we are allowed to use Normal maps if I understood my teacher correctly. Good luck getting a good result out of a 128 pixel normal map though!

Here is my WIP screenshot.

I am a little proud that I was able to stay 406 tris under the budget, so I'll keep adding stuff through the week until I run out of polygons. Maybe start doing a little texturing if I get the time.


SHDR said...

If you subdivide the table a bit more, say four rather than one face on top and two on the sides, you can tile a single texture and normal map across all of them.

Sure, it costs you polys, but saving texture memory is more critical than spending 16 additional polygons. Since you're going for a realistic style, you just need a decent tiling woodgrain texture.

Just remember to orient the unwrapped faces correctly, or you'll get inverted normal rendering.

Oh, and the reason why you have such a tight constraint is because most players will never inspect that prop because it is (you guessed it) just a prop. The likelihood of that prop taking up a significant amount of screen space or -time is very small.

Otherwise, nice work. Like your rounded-edge solution on the laptop.

Oh, and why have you bothered extruding the handle on the cup? You should detach that, delete all the superfluous triangles and just stick the handle on the cup. They don't have to be part of the same mesh as long as they're part of the same sub-object.

Fingus said...

Whoa Bro! Thanks for the feedback.

That's a pretty handy trick you suggested for the table there. I will have to remember that one. The table is just a clean white surface, so I figured I would just give it very little UV space and use decals for scratches and such. Although your solution would still help on that. I'll have to revise the model before class today.

Yeah, our teacher kept repeating that all the time. There were some people who used their entire budget on just the monitor because they decided to model the buttons! I love working on a tight budget though, it's a lot of fun finding ways to optimize your mesh. Although I think I may have gone over board a couple of places. For instance the laptop can't be closed because there are no faces at the back of it.

I don't really have any excuse for the cup, except that I just had too much fun with it. I often pick the hardest solution just to have more fun, but now that you mention it I see how bad it worked out. There's a lot of triangles I can take away from that one and put other places that need them more.

I'll go fix that shit right now and post the new scene when I'm done. I've added a lot more junk since last I posted.

SHDR said...

Great! It's really good that you like working under constraints, too many 3d artists feel like lo-poly modelling is some kind of drudge work that prevents them from properly expressing their detail fixation. Personally, I think working out abstractions and economic ways of expressing complex shapes and surfaces is much more rewarding. But that's probably because I'm much more concerned about games than movies or renders in any case ...

Apart from being a good modeller, you seem like you can accept criticism too. That may be the most important skill you're ever going to develop. :)

I was gonna commend your clay work as well, but I realized that I didn't really have anything constructive to say apart from "I wish I could spend my days doing that, too ..." Either way, lookin' good.

Johan said...

I find limits fun at times. Doing the most out of limited resources. That's why I loved the oldschool Rollercoaster Tycoon scene, where people made buildings out of rollercoaster parts, bridges and the landscape tool.