Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Apex Observatory: Final block-in and a texturing test.

Opted for a mashup of A and C, and I decided to move the platform out further so players arriving by the elevator can get a better view of the structure. The building itself isn't very modular, but I intend to make good use of tiling textures and material effects for things like snow.






I also did a quick texture pass on the walkway to probe for any oddities surrounding how UDK handles textures and UV's. I discovered that shadows won't render if the UV's go outside 0-1 space. And I ran into a problem with baking lightmaps. It seems like meshes with transparency won't cast shadows when using Lightmass, although realtime shadows do. Apparently this is a bug with the May build, but a workaround is supposed to be to change the material Blend Mode to BLEND_Translucent and set Cast Shadow As Masked to True but that isn't working either. Very odd...




2 comments:

Sue said...

Tried to read your commentary but my brain died in the process. I love the color though, and the texture looks sweet so far!

Unknown said...

Haha, lots of technical shait yeah. That orange color was only to test something, and so was the texture. Both are going to change. I wanna make it more stylized and whimsical.